The Easter Seminar is the main event in YEN´s year and the seminar with the most participants. About 60 participants from different national, ethnic or linguistic minorities from more than 15 European countries will come together in the week before Easter to learn together and from each other.
Under the motto “MYnority – My Say” in 2019 we want to focus on youth participation as fundamental subject for young people, who want to engage themselves more. In the light of European Parliament Elections as well as many other national, regional and local elections around Europe, our main aim is to provide young people who belong to the minorities with knowledge on their rights, means of taking advantage of participation opportunities and tools for being active in diverse aspects of their communities.
In the run-up to the elections for the European Parliament in Mai 2019 we want to learn important skills for youth participation. Together we want to:
- learn how we can make our voice heard in the public sphere;
- train ourselves on how to present ideas in a discussion and have a fruitful exchange of opinions;
- talk about and experience dialogue with decision-makers;
- find out how we can access reliable information (for example on the internet).
Acquiring these skills will be part of all workshops offered during the seminar, however each workshop will focus on a different subject. Together with the application all participants can select their favourite subject (with a preference, 1st choice, 2nd choice, 3rd choice) out of four choices.
These subjects are:
- Inclusive education. Minority language and history in schools. Social inclusion of minorities in the education system.
- Minorities and the media. The role of traditional and digital media with regards to social inclusion of minorities.
- Transparency and accessibility of political decision makers.
- Protection of national and ethnic minorities and its legal basis. Official recognition and implementation of international conventions.
The three subjects with the most votes will be offered as workshops. In all three offered workshops you will also work on the skills for youth participation mentioned above. We will try that every participant can get a place in the workshop of their first choice, however we cannot guarantee it.